Friday, January 24, 2014

Don't Stop Believin'...

Ready or NOT...

As I took the AFT training in the summer of 2013, my hopes were set high as I hoped I would be receiving a set of iPads shortly after the school year started.  I applied for a set of iPads towards the end of summer in hopes that I would be given the privilege of a classroom set in the Fall of 2013.  Unfortunately that wasn't the case.  Utter disappointment BUT I believe it happened for a reason just wasn't able to see that at the time.

Moving Forward...

Even though I was disappointed and feeling like I wouldn't be given the opportunity to have a set of iPads, I continued to learn from Sharae, various educators I follow on Twitter, as well as Google + Communities that I am a part of.  All of these resources and educators helped me grow and figure out new ways to implement my iPad and technology into the classroom.   

Change...

As time continued to pass, my perspective changed as to what my vision for the iPads in my classroom was going to be.  I was surprised as to how much I had grown and educated myself in such a short amount of time.  Then the email announcing another round of applications arrived in my inbox.  I was ready to apply with an entirely different view on iPads and education.  

Fingers Crossed...

As I filled out the application, I felt a sense of pride and accomplishment.  I laid out my ideas and vision as to how the iPads would be utilized in my classroom to enhance my students' education.  My poor husband had to edit about a 1,000 times, but I wanted to be sure that everything was in place and ready to go!  After about two weeks of spending approximately 30 mins to an hour each night on the application, I finally clicked submit. 

Waiting...

Days went by and then we were notified of the day that the decisions would be made about who would be receiving the iPads.  I remember this day very well because the Huskers were playing the Hawkeyes  that weekend and there was a bit of an rivalry between some teachers at my school.  I kept myself away from the computer all day, because I couldn't face the disappointing email once again.  A week or couple of weeks (can't really remember it's all a blur!) later I received the email that said, CONGRATULATIONS!  

Don't Stop Believin'....

All of my efforts in dedicating my time to participate in the AFT training, applying not only once, but twice had paid off!  In order to grow, I must experience failure, continue to learn, explore, ask questions and  be open to change.  Most importantly, I didn't stop believing that I was someone that worked hard and was ready to implement a set of iPads into my classroom.  I know that my efforts are going to take my students' learning to places they have never been before!  iPads will forever change the way I teach and the way my students learn. 


No comments:

Post a Comment